Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Courtney's Cooking Corner: Spotlight #1

My first recipe in my attempt to broaden my recipe repertoire. We are doing a diet, so it is a healthier recipe, but you really can't tell once you taste it. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Chili Rellenos Casserole

3 cans (4 oz) whole green chilies, drained
4 oz Monterey Jack Cheese
1 1/4 c. egg substitute
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. skim milk
1/2 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
chili poder
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup salsa

Preheat oven to 350 F

Lightly coat an 8x8 or 9x9 glass baking dish with cooking spray

Lay whole green chilies out on paper towels. Slice the Jack cheese into the same number of pieces as there are chilies. Insert a slice of cheese inside each chili and arrange evenly in baking dish.

In medium mixing bowl, whisk together egg substitute, flour and milk. Pour egg mixture over chilies in baking dish.

Layer shredded cheddar cheese on top of casserole, then sprinkle with chili powder and green onion.
Bake for 35 minutes or until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out "clean."

Cut into 4 portions and top with salsa.
Serve and enjoy!

1 comment:

Linda said...

I will try the recipe!
The pictures of Rosalie are as precious as always.
I can't wait to give her a kiss and a hug soon. I need that! Things are crazy around here. Look at the time I am posting this. I can't sleep!!! Too much. But thoughts of my family, especially my little grand daughters cheer me up! They are the best! Thank You for the pictures.