Friday, May 16, 2008

Costa Rica-- I wish I could live there

We had sooooooo much fun in Costa Rica. I am so lucky to have such amazing parents that would take us on such a fun trip. We went up a couple of days before them and spent some time visiting people from Sean's mission. The families there are fantastic, I have never met so many people so eager to offer me food or a place to stay or absolutely anything you could think of. The people there are very kind and generous and I have fallen in love with them. Here is a picture of one of the families that we visited with, they are Pedro and Xinia and their kids.

On Monday my parents arrived and we took a long drive to a hotel called Tabacon. It has hot springs and a volcano and a beautiful jungle where we did ziplining. When we got there we got in our swim suits and went to the hot springs right away, I know what you are thinking, hot springs are gross they stain your swimsuit and they smell like sulfur. Well that was not the case, these are crystal clear beautiful water with lava rock lining the bottom and they don't smell. The water runs down the volcano and is heated up that way, we were actually on the base of the volcano. Then we had some amazing food at a soda, that is what they call their local little places. I love the food in Costa Rica, and we totally hit the hay early. It gets bright there at 5 in the morning and gets dark a lot earlier so my time was totally thrown off. This picture is of my parents enjoying one of the falls in the hot springs water. The next day we hiked all through the jungle doing the zipline tour, let me tell you at first I was terrified and really did not want to do it, but it ended up being amazing. I think I held my breath every time the guide would let me go on the line though.

Even my mom did it, and like she would like to remind us the entire trip, she is 50!

After the long day of playing in the jungle we went back and relaxed in the hot springs again and the next morning as well. Then at about 11 on Wednesday we took off for Tamarindo. It was a long winding drive around the lake and then across the country and we finally got there. The beach is my favorite place in the world so I was really excited. Sean and I decided to take surf lessons and we had a blast. Believe it or not that was not the only time we were standing on the boards. My dad has videos of us, if only he would send them our way, I'm sure they are comical. Then we went on a little boat cruise through the estuary in order to see wild animals. Our poor guide worked so hard to find us some caymens and some monkeys, it was just not the right time of day, they prefer the morning. But after hiking into the dry jungle for thirty minutes we found some monkeys, and on the way back to the beach we found some caymens.
There were also some little funny crabs that we saw along the edge of the water, but they were too hard to take pictures of. The hotel in Tamarindo was fantastic and we found some really cool shells on the beach. I really loved the area but it was way hotter than the other places we visited. Our hotel even had some funny food seeking creatures, the Iguana that lived on the roof outside our porch and the bird that would steal people's food at breakfast were both quite entertaining.


Overall this was probably one of the most amazing trips ever and I have a million more pictures to prove it. I just can't post all of them and it was very hard to choose which ones to put up. I just hope you all believe me about how beautiful it was there. We were all planning our return trip while we were there. I can't wait and I hope that we can save up some dough so that we can go back next year. I would live there if I could, I love Costa Rica. Pura Vida!!!

No comments: