Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Up and Running



After a rocky first day here, we finally have everything all set up. We have our bed in the living room so we can have somewhere to sit and we have a little card table with a couple of chairs, it is a cute, empty old apartment. When we first got here the place smelled funny, Sean thinks it is because someone used to smoke here and they tried to cover up the smell. I think it was because they put new carpet in and it smelled weird. Luckily for an old place it has been kept up well, there is new carpet, linoleum, paint, counters in the kitchen, stove, oven, fridge, dishwasher, new counter in the bathroom, and an amazing shower head. The shower is a little dirty, but nothing a good scrubbing can't fix and all the plumbing works. Sean got totally freaked out when he turned the water on and it shot out funny like air was in the line and it was brown at first. I keep telling him that is normal with old pipes when the water has been turned off for any period of time. We lived in a nice neighborhood here in Houston, and when the water was turned off for repairs or something it always did that at first, then it is perfectly fine. It doesn't even taste bad like we were worried about, having to live off bottled water is expensive. This is definitely an adventure. We are trying to understand how to find our way around the city, but there is no way we could have done it without our garmin. I think we will eventually get the hang of it, but it was overwhelming for me at first. I am just so crazy emotional lately anything can set me off, and being in such a big city made me cry for some reason when we got here, I was actually missing Provo for like a second. How ironic huh? The place I have been waiting to escape and I missed it. Things are good now, I just have to find a job so I'm not sitting around here all day. Sean started his first day at the office today, I hope he is having fun, too bad he left his phone here. I hope he doesn't have to stay late or leave early because I will have no way of knowing when to pick him up if he doesn't think to call me with a different phone. What a fun adventure we are starting, I am excited to see how things go. I will keep you updated.

4 comments:

Linda said...

WoW! It's like Camping indoors! I told Sean and YOU... make sure you take plenty of pictures, because some day you will want to show your kids how far you've come! I am so proud of you both. Don't worry about a thing. I am sure soon enough you will know the city well enough. I miss you tons and can't wait to see you again.
Have a great day!
I love you both.

Little Crazies said...

Hey Courtney!! how are you doing?
we're living at the LExington Condos by Smiths in Provo... but i thought you were moving out of Provo, why are you looking for a new place? :)

Little Crazies said...

oh... that sounds crazy... but yeah, we're living in Lexington condos... nice place, awesome ward... we're actually going to look for something bigger probably, cause our apartment is getting too small for soon to be four people... maybe you can get our apt if we move soon..

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Sounds like an adventure alright!
Where I grew up in Florida the water always smelled like sulfure, ick. My dad was always putting salt and chlorine in the water tanks to keep out the smell.
So I grew up drinking bottled water. It really is amazing how quickly you go through that stuff!
I hope you don't have to start buying it! Good luck!!